Understanding Isomers, Stereochemistry and Chirality
A primer or refresher course on all aspects of isomers, including enantiomers.
With the aid of molecular models, delegates will gain a clear understanding of the various types of isomers and how they differ in pharmacological activity and physicochemical properties. The importance of stereochemistry, including chirality, will be explained in detail. Different means of analysing and separating enantiomers including spectroscopy and chromatography will be discussed, with an overview of the most important classes of chiral HPLC columns and how they are used.
This course will enable you to
- Explore all aspects of isomerism, including stereochemistry and chirality with a stimulating brief introduction/refresher module
- Use molecular models to gain a deep understanding of stereochemistry and chirality
- Review the difference in pharmacological activity and physicochemical properties of isomers
- Understand the importance of stereochemistry, including chirality in the pharmaceutical industry
- Examine the different means of analysing and separating enantiomers including spectroscopy and chromatography
- Discover how chiral HPLC can be used to resolve enantiomers
This course will include several workshops which will break up the day and encourage interaction. These are highly motivating and stimulating activities and will include topics such as:
- Using molecular models to really understand isomerism
- Recognising stereochemistry and deciding how to tackle particular problems
- Practical approaches to chiral resolution using chiral HPLC